Monday, February 12, 2007

Our Most Extravagant Crazy Dinner

I was invited to a crazy dinner in Bangkok at the Lebua Hotel the day before yesterday from which I am only just now recovering, whereas Jenny claims she will need to redouble her workouts for another month to recover.

Six chefs who each have eighteen Michelin stars between them (there, I made the math easy!) prepared over a dozen courses paired with wines. The entire meal was ridiculously over the top... I had never seen so much truffle on a plate, and there was also Kobe beef, Beluga caviar which I believe is still unavailable in the US, and some amazing and overrated wines. The bill? By my reckoning (and inexact grasp of current exchange rates), over $20,000 US. Jenny and I should have shared a setting, it was that much food.

Yes, that was off-topic, but I will get to the more relevant postings later, including the Thailand trip, as well as New York, London, and other points. After I recuperate.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simon! Good to hear life is still treating you well. Please go into more detail about this epicurean debauchery. What were the wines? How were the truffles used?

caroline said...

Sigmund or Simon as it seems

Off topic: It seems you roam around too close for comfort.

On topic: I presume you referred to Sirocco? where I normally put up my tent when in Bangkok if I do not fall asleep intoxicated at Bed.

Your preference to overindulge in food when in Bangkok is rather sweet without going into detail on topics off limit to you.

Perhaps it is what happens when on gets married, one stop looking for where one can have fun and start thinking about what to eat?

Anonymous said...

Sigmund... Simon.. an honest mistake. I suppose it's been such a while between posts... I do hope you can write more about the meal and the trip overall. Still trying to wrap my brain around a $20,000 meal for two and any details would be interesting.

I can only assume that your lack of posting is due to your newfound state of marital happiness. Mazol tov!

Sigmund said...

Bed reminds me that I recently tried to dine at Bed's New York City location, only to find that they had closed it because somebody had died there! The story was that somebody fell down an elevator shaft? Can anybody confirm that?

Jenny may remember the wines better than I. I do recall they did have the standard over-the-top super expensive wines: a couple of Romanee Conti's, a few of LVMH's champagnes, the always overrated Chateau D'Yquem, and top cru's like Mouton Rothschild, Chateau Palmer and so on.

caroline said...

Hard to say on the reliability of that death, whatever the truth may or may not be I would not advice anyone to sue anyone for not having had their dinner in Bed.

On second thought on the probability of a death in the elevator shaft:

I can not see how anyone could get into the shaft unless they climbed thought the ceiling of the lift however by then someone would have noticed… There must have been more than one person in the lift. Any by being on top and above the ceiling of the elevator it would be technically impossible to fall down.

That was my thought on it.

I will now proceed to read A-Z of your old web log as I presume appropriate information related to my interests is to be found there.

Sigmund said...

Caroline, what information "related to your interests" do you seek? Perhaps I can spare you the A-Z re-reading.

I just returned from NYC where Bed was apparently still closed. Again I was informed that somebody had died there.

caroline said...

Alight. It seems you may be the persistent kind. I am now relating it to the fact you have tried twice to have dinner in a place which has closed down.

I feel the need for A-Z however most importantly:

I need to know how I can have money transferred to my account and air tickets issued in my name without revealing who I am.