Sunday, July 29, 2007

Work and Life Balance

Some people may not realize that Jenny and I spend almost a third of our time away from each other. Our work schedules do not mix.

But we have adapted. These days it seems like a nearly ideal situation, although our perceptions may change in the future.

What our current mode enables are highly concentrated segments of time where we are very focused on one thing. Unlike the days of most people, we do not have to switch between work mode, spouse mode, recreation mode, friends mode, and home mode every few hours. Rather, we do it in several day to several week increments.

This really allows us sufficient time to get into a groove on a given activity.

For example, a highly concentrated seven day interval of 24 by 7 work is very productive. During that time I eat, sleep, and breathe work. During the day I will meet people. During the evening I will have business meetings. During the night I will read or write business-related reports, research and similar items. I am not watching movies (or television), reading recreational books, or meeting non-work friends. My time is totally dedicated to work. Consequently I am so focused that I find my ability to comprehend and make decisions seems to be several times more efficient.

This also applies to recreation. When Jenny and I take a week-long vacation we will dedicate our time totally to Peau, each other and ourselves. The level of relaxation, comfort, and tuning into each other is something we cannot replicate in a single evening after dinner or a weekend fling. And we find it fun to plan out these week long excursions, to develop themes or knowledge or skills.

At any given week it does not seem like we have a work-life balance at all. Spending 20 hours a day at work geeking out with work reports and never going out socially would seem like the classic work-a-holic unbalanced lifestyle. Yet when averaged over a quarter it turns out I have done less time working than most of my working peers. Yet usually I have accomplished more.

True, we have the luxury of tailoring the rest of our lives around this kind of scheduling, such as my work support staff or even our relationship activities. But I really enjoy this way of dividing up time.

There is nothing like monomaniacal immersion to clear and focus the mind for love, work, play, and so many other things (other than sleep!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sigmund,

Thanks for the interesting post. How long do you sustain your 20 hour work days for? Isn't it better to sleep at least 7 hours a day, even when red-lining?

Many thanks
Bacchus